Choosing which caravan holiday home to buy is exciting and there are many things to consider. The NCC can offer informed, impartial advice on what to look for and operates a Code of Practice for holiday parks in membership.
This covers the purchase and sale of new and pre-owned holiday homes and the agreement to occupy a pitch on a holiday park. For the best in consumer protection and fair treatment, check out the parks who are members of this scheme. Download the pdf which explains the scheme.
- Ensure you have a written agreement between you and the holiday park where your holiday home is sited.
- Find out how long you can keep your caravan on the park (the tenure).
- Make sure you understand your rights and obligations set out in this agreement - you may wish to take professional advice.
- Find out about all the costs involved. Although mortgages are not obtainable on holiday homes, finance is available.
- Holiday homes are not suitable for permanent residence - this leaflet explains why not.
There is a very comprehensive guide to buying on the NCC's Approved Holiday Parks website.
Click on the Essential Guide to buying a Caravan Holiday Home for more information.
Holiday parks are graded in a similar way to hotels, using 1 to 5 stars - the British Graded Holiday Parks Scheme differentiates the level of facilities and services across parks and helps customers to identify quality.
NCC member manufacturers' homes carry an NCC Approved badge, this means that the home has been inspected and approved through the NCC Product Approval Scheme which makes sure the home is safe.
NCC Approved Holiday Home Distributor scheme - applies when you are buying a holiday home fom a distributor.
There will be show homes on most parks. In addition, some holiday home distributors have large display areas with lots of different models that can be sited on a variety of parks. Knowledgeable sales staff will be on hand to advise you about the advantages of the various models and the facilities on the different parks they represent in the local area.
If you have someone with special requirements, some holiday home models can be adapted for their needs.